C: I’m Casey Chatman, originally from sunny southern California, however as of this year I’m making New York City my official home! I’m also a psychology student at St Johns University.
Why did you make the decision to go natural?
C: I chose to return my hair to its natural state as a direct result of my loss of interest in the time it took to perm my hair. I did not want to go back to the store to purchase a box of hair perm so I kept putting it off, forcing me to work with the texture I currently had at that time (waves as a result of the perm with curly ringlets that were my naturally textured roots growing in). 4 years later and I still have not returned to the store to purchase that box of hair perm and I DON’T PLAN ON IT!
How would you describe your texture?
C: I’m not quite certain of my texture — pertaining to a number and letter, however others on my Instagram have described my hair as combination 3b/3c. You tell me if that’s accurate! :)
Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
C: My style regimen is quite simple. I wash my hair every week or every 5 days, sometimes with shampoo, sometimes with just conditioner. I don’t necessarily focus on step-by-step/day-by-day guidelines, as I have not given myself any. My main concern is moisture! My hair tends to be brittle when dry and to avoid breakage I use humectants daily to keep my hair soft, non-greasy, bouncy, lustrous and most importantly moisturized! The products I am currently using are products that I have found beneficial and taken a liking to. These products consist of: Suave Humectant Moisture Conditioner, GBP Conditioner, aPHogee Moisture Renewal Leave in Conditioner, Shea Moisture Styling Milk and Organix Tea Tree Shampoo.
The rationale behind my regimen, or lack thereof is partly because I am often traveling to different climates, so I allow for different needs to be met for each climate and atmosphere I find myself in. I make decisions on how my hair is for that particular day and have found meeting my hair’s needs day-to-day rather than what is convenient and systematic, is more beneficial for my hair. I limit my styling to either a bun or a puff. If I’m feeling a bit more ambitious I’ll do my rope twist up-do. I very rarely if at all wear my hair down/out/free in public. During my transition I wore by hair straight and flat ironed 70% of the time. The other 30 percent I wore it in wash and goes despite of the texture variances from the permed ends to the curly roots.
What does wash day look like for you?
C: Wash day for me consists of Organix Tea Tree Shampoo along with Suave Humectant Conditioner used as a leave in. I use a comb in the shower to detangle. When I leave the shower, I add more Suave Humectant Conditioner, along with aPhogee Moisture Renewal, and I finger detangle. When that is all said and done I add Shea Moisture Styling Milk to any area that appears frizzy. Air dry and voila! (Seems like a lot of product, but my hair absorbs like a sponge).
Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
C: 3 words. Bun or puff.
How do you combat shrinkage?
C: I don’t. Shrinkage = curls. If my hair didn’t have shrinkage it would be straight. What’s the point of combating my hair’s natural state. Embrace the curl.
Tell us about your hair color?
C: I always dye my own hair. My current hair color is due in part to the bright Crayola red color my hair was just a little over a year ago. It still has that red tinge despite of my dying it black over and over again. A few months ago I dyed it brown and added some blonde pieces in it. The roots have grown in black (my natural color) and I’ve kind of let it rock. In the near future I’m adding more blonde bits to it in the hopes of evening the color out more.
What are 2 do’s for your texture?
C: 1) Moisture 2) Wide-Tooth-Comb shower detangling while drenched in conditioner
What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
C: 1) Protein treatments (oddly increases breakage even with proper moisture) 2) Strictly finger detangling
Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C: I have 2 Instagrams:
My Personal IG: CaseyChatman
My Hair’s IG: Curly_Casey