Dispatch from Leila’s journal…
10 Things I’m Realizing are Self-Care
1. Telling people to f*ck off when they are draining my energy and giving nothing in return, consistently disrespecting my boundaries or invalidating my feelings. This goes for anyone, from family members to that asshat on Facebook who keeps asking you to explain how Black Lives Matter is different from the KKK.
2. Getting the medically recommended 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night.
3. Perusing Instagram only in measured doses.
4. Eating vegetables and drinking water. Honestly, my body wants and needs them. They do not have to be the only things I eat, but they have to be a decent portion of it.
5. Not judging myself for how I really feel and who I really am. Society is invested in my insecurity because people mired in self-doubt are easier to control. True power comes from self-love.
6. Daring to believe that my ideas are good, and pursuing them on that basis.
7. Trusting my instincts. Trusting my instincts. Trusting my instincts. TRUSTING my INSTINCTS!
8. Celebrating and documenting my physical beauty and the strength and sensuality of my body. Taking selfies (including naked selfies) that no one will ever see. Twerking in the mirror, masturbating at will.
9. Speaking aloud what I want out of life and what my dreams are. Dreaming isn’t just for kids, it’s for everyone.
10. Unplugging from social media and interacting with real people — going to a block party, taking a group class at the gym, dancing at a club, having coffee with a friend, shopping at a local business. Social media can’t ever substitute for human touch and connection.